Quote of the Day:

You're a beautiful, unique snowflake and shit.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

I love it!

I love Long Beach.  Love, love, love it.  I love the people on the streets walking around, walking their dogs, riding their bikes, taking a jog.  I love running walk/jogging along the bike path, next to the ocean.  I love the sun on my face, the breeze cooling me down, looking out at the vastness, once I get past those oil barges.  I love sitting on the pier, watching the sun set, soft oranges and yellows glistening on the mild waves.  I love being able to easily walk to the grocery store, the Wal-Mart, the nail place, to any number of restaurants to  get any kind of food I want.  I love that my building looks like an old, glamorous Hollywood hotel, where someone with arm-length gloves and a tiara or something is going to walk out of the elevator at any point.  This would be, of course, when the elevators are working.  I love my balcony- setting up a couple of cheap lawn chairs and playing some gin on a nice day.  I love that my neighbors are all friendly, and a lot of them are young and like saying hi and chatting in the elevator.  I love that I live across from a fancy restaurant, and I get to check out the ridiculously nice cars the valets park out front.  I’m going to have dinner there sometime.  And it’s going to be awesome.  I won’t ask them to park the Civic.

I love that, close as it is, I took a chance and moved somewhere new, away from my family and the only life I’ve known for 30 years.  I’m still extremely close by, but even a little distance makes me feel somehow stronger, more grown up.  Like I might be able to take care of myself, “for real”.  Since I was old enough, I’ve always worked*, and paid for things on my own, and I’ve paid rent and lived on my own before.  But sometimes I don’t feel like an adult.  And somehow, this move helped a little.  Maybe I’m “finding myself”.  Which, quite frankly, is a little embarrassing because how do you lose someone you’re with twenty-four hours a day?  Yet another of life’s mysteries, I guess.



*…with the exception of that glorious 12 months where I was unemployed and decided to pursue awesomeness FULL-TIME.  It really suited me.  I’m grateful for that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for playing!

Feel free to contribute to my quest of world domination! Ask me how!